Bio: Disabled. Hyperactive. Disorganized. Anti-Authoritarian. Highly Effective*.
I am a teacher of New Language Arts English (ENL/TESOL) to exceptional learners (“Special Education”) at Harry S Truman High School in Bronx, New York.
My joy is guiding young adults towards literacy and productive lives. In my spare time, I rhyme, study the martial sciences, cook for my wife, and play with my daughter.
The purposes of this website are threefold:
- To share research and research with the educational community.
- To document my personal experiences as I grow as an educator, while commenting on education, labor, and society.
- To provide public accountability so that I reach my personal goals.
- To mock, satirize, jive, jeer, jest, jeckle, heckle, hoodwink, bamboozle and flim-flam banal aspects of academic life.**
This blog is informed by my own experiences as:
- An adult with multiple learning disabilities.
- A father and husband.
- A doctoral student (ongoing).
- A Teacher’s Union Organizer and Lobbyist that worked in multiple states.
- An educational sales rep for corporate America.
- A private tutor, both for the privileged and undeserved alike.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.
Peace. Love. Respect.
-The Future Doctor Sugar
- According to the Danielson Rubric For Teaching, I am rated as a “Highly Effective” teacher on the basis of classroom instructional observations.
- According to the NYS battery of teacher examinations, I am in the 96th percentile in every subject area.
- My GRE scores place me in the bottom 25th percentile for Verbal Reasoning AND Mathematical Reasoning.
- My credit score is in the Good range, with a poor debt-to-income ratio (you read that part about the Master’s Degree and Ph.D, yes?).
**Did you see what I did there?